Monday, September 04, 2006

What's your why?

For those out there who are serious about exiting the rat race and building a better life for yourself and your family, knowing why you want to be rich is as important as how you are going to get out.

I recently finished 12 weeks of Rich Dad Coaching. Want to know what we did for the first two personal coaching sessions. We wrote out in detail why we wanted to be rich, what it looks like and when we were going to get there. We also spent time writing out what we don't want. This exercise focused our minds so we had a reason to do work it would take to get out of the rat race. Financial gurus like Robert Kiyosaki know the cardinal truth ... you can't get somewhere if you don't know where you are going ... and you won't get there if you don't know why you are bothering.

The how is easy when you know why.

Why gives you drive, determination, and the perseverance you need to acheive success. Lets face it, when you start building a business that generates passive income, you will face critics and set backs. You need a strong why to pull yourself back up on your feet and keep going. And, its those people who have the strength to get on their feet and keep building when all the people around them are laughing or criticizing them who will find real success.

So how do you figure out your why ... chances are it is not the first thing you think of, but its a good place to start.

Start answering some very simple questions: why do I want to be rich, what will being rich look like (in colourful detail), how will my life be different, what will I be doing, where will I be doing it, what things will I be doing, what won't I be doing, when will I get there, what will it take to get there, what will I do if I fail at first, how will I ensure my success.

Don't do this fast. Take your time. Revisit the answers every day and rewrite them to reflect a deeper meaning.

Now ask yourself ... is it enough. Is it enough to keep you going when the going gets tough. If the answer is no, go back and review it again.

Remember, when you know the why, the how is possible.

Start today and define why you want to be rich.